Why Soy Candles? - Green Goo Introduces Aromatherapy Candles Made of Soy Wax
Check Out Our New Aromatherapy Soy Candles!
“When it’s said that a candle scent ‘throws well,’ this means it fills the room with a strong, lasting scent. Soy wax candles not only have a great scent throw, but also have a cleaner smell. It’s been noted by many that paraffin wax will give them headaches. Of course it’s not the scent itself, but the additional chemicals the paraffin is putting off. Because soy burns so clean, you’ll get a cleaner scent as well.” – Nick & Frosa Katsis
At Green Goo, we love soy wax because it’s a renewable resource, grown right here in Colorado, as well as in various Midwestern states. How is it made? Well, its extracted from the final product of soybeans that are cleaned, cracked, de-hulled, and then rolled into flakes. The oil from those flakes is then hydrogenated, which converts some of the fatty acids from unsaturated to saturated. In turn, this changes the melting point of the oil, so that the soy wax becomes solid at room temperatures.
While some companies mix their soy wax with other waxes, such as paraffin or beeswax, we decided early on that, no matter what, we would source 100% GMO free soy wax for our Aromatherapy Soy Candles, along with 100% pure essential oils and cotton wicks. Vegan candles are important for so many reasons.
According to Green Goo CEO and Co-Founder, Jodi Scott: “Pure beeswax candles are amazing, but It takes about 10 pounds of honey to produce one pound of beeswax. Bees wax is used to construct the honeycomb – which stores the honey, and serves as the home where the queen, honey, worker, and baby bees live. Taking this wax to use for human benefits contributes to the loss of bees, which greatly impacts agriculture. We love pure beeswax candles, but decided to use soy instead since bees are under so much stress right now.”
But it's not just its vegan components that are important to the Scott Family. Mom Kathy and sisters Jen and Jodi believe that soy wax creates the cleanest and healthiest candle compared to paraffin, a petroleum by product.
“Soy candles are made from soybeans, a natural, renewable resource," Head Herbalist Jen Scott explains. "Paraffin candles are made from petroleum; they release carcinogenic substances and CO2 into the air when they burn. A candle made from soy wax burns cleaner, with very little soot released. Paraffin candles often create a significant amount of black soot that collects on the jar, as well as on your walls and other surfaces of the home. Soy candles are also non-toxic, so they won't release toxins into the air as they burn.”
Are there other reasons why the Scotts love soy? Many, say the sisters.
- Soy candles typically last longer than a paraffin candle because of the slower burning time and cooler burning temperature of the soybean-based wax. “You may pay more for a soy candle initially, but the longer-lasting burn means you won't have to buy new candles as often,” Jodi Scott explains.
- Soy wax is also biodegradable, making it an investment that benefits the environment.
- Soy candles "hold" onto the scent from essential oils better than other waxes. Because they burn more slowly, the scent is gradually released instead of causing an immediate wave of strong scent.
- You can use the melted wax for other things once the candle has burned out. After enjoying Green Goo’s Aromatherapy Candles, you can use the melted wax as a luxurious body massage oil and moisturizer. "It's perfect after taking a relaxing soak in the tub!" says Jodi Scott.
- Green Goo candles are GMO free, have no perfumes or unnatural “fragrances” (that can both be carcinogenic). “We use only 100% pure essentials oils! Our Aromatherapy Soy Candles are not only healthy with soy wax and cotton wicks, but are environmentally safe and the tin can reused!” adds Jen Scott.
"Soy wax is truly a dream candle—eco-friendly, renewable, American grown, sustainable, and carbon neutral. What’s not to love?!" - Jodi Scott.
Aromatherapy Candles Are Available in 7 Fragrances: